My daughter's First B-day
Today was my daughter's first birthday and sadly, I wasn't there to celebrate it with her. This has been such a weird summer. My wife is teaching to fulfill requirements for her degree and the move put us short on funds so I needed to work. Fortunately, grandparents were willing to take the children for a few months while I worked and my wife finished her school. The separation from our two children has been an interesting experience. It has been mostly interesting because it has caused me to reflect on life, as if all of our progression has been put on pause (and it truly feels that way - with out children and family, there is no progression, I believe that) and I am left to analyze my position. Before I had kids I remember thinking "I'll do this as a parent" or more often "I'll NEVER do that as a parent" I was full of idealism then and then reality came with our first child in the car seat on the way home from the hospital. Then I discovered that nothing happens as predicted when parenting. Life accelerated out from under me and I found many weaknesses displayed that I never knew I had. I always considered myself patient but come to find out, I have a limit to the amount of patience that I have. So I was stretched and then they were gone. Now, it's like I took a step 2 years back. It's a rare opportunity for me to say "if only I knew then what I know now - but now I do." What have I learned in the past two years? What have done well at? Where could I improve? There are many areas but most importantly, I have learned that time is the one thing that can't be reversed. Mistakes can be forgiven and forgotten and trust can be restored by lost time is never regained. Of all the possessions that we have, time is the most precious because it the most limited. I have limited time now to recommit and redirect my efforts because this life is too short to not put my time to good use. And what better than to spend my time on what is most important: my family?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to my blog
Here is some daily thoughts about life and the lessons contained therein. The common question that each day's entry will answer is "What did I learn from today?"
- Justice
- I was born in Montana and after high school served as a missionary for two years in Florida after which I returned home and went to school at BYU-Idaho. There I met my best friend and wife and were married 5 months later. Now we have two children. I graduated in Biology and am beginning dental school at NYU in New York City.
0 comments:
Post a Comment